Summer is in full swing in Louisiana, and it is HOT! Heat indexes have reached the 100’s, so make sure you are staying hydrated out there. An ice-cold glass of homemade lemonade to keep you cool is the perfect addition to hot summer days. Since we’re staying home and can’t invite friends over, why not introduce some flavors to one another. This lemonade combines sweet pineapple to spicy ginger and takes lemonade to a new level. It’s pineapple season, so make sure you get a juicy, sweet, and aromatic one to make this drink pop. Ginger root is one of my favorite spices for its health-boosting properties from antioxidants. There are numerous research studies on its effect on several conditions such as nausea and certain types of arthritis. Ginger is known to add a kick to any recipe, so expect nothing less from this drink.
This gingerade calls for a simple syrup. I used my light simple syrup recipe which you can find here.
- 1 cup light simple syrup see light simple syrup recipe
- ¼ cup ginger Freshly juiced and strained. May prefer to start out with ⅛ cup and adjust up due to boldness.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice about 3 lemons
- 1 cup pineapple juice freshly juiced and strained
- 4 cups water
- Juice lemon, ginger and pineapple then add to a pitcher.
- Add water and light simple syrup.
- Stir all ingredients well. Serve over ice or refrigerate until ready to use.